Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Gorillas and Perfumes

To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out why LUSH calls them Gorilla Perfumes, there isn't anything ape like about them.  At least not in the sense that I look at a gorilla, but I'm sure that's something that stems from my ignorance of the subject. There definitely is something to be said about these perfumes. Firstly, it is important to know, that they smell different on every body's skin. Try it on your own skin, step outside the store, and then smell it.

Once upon a time I stepped into LUSH for the first time ever, so the sales staff showed me everything, I wanted to buy it all. However, being the person I am, I didn't want to make any impulsive decisions, so I walked away thinking I would come back after researching and decide what products I would purchase.  I left, walked around the mall, with Vanillary and Tuca Tuca on my arm.  After a few minutes of walking around with those two, I had to have them. I went back and got both in Solid Perfumes.

Vanillary is aptly named, I think this is something that works on most people. It's vanilla, but not cake frosting sugary vanilla, or vanilla extract. It's slightly floral, warms up to a bit of caramel like scent.  It does smell like a dessert, but not in the way that cake or cupcakes smell. The scent is inspired by desserts at Heston Blumenthal's The Fat Duck restaurant.  Picture this, you have Vanilla-Caramel ice cream made of the most luxurious vanilla and cream, no artificial ingredients, and you're outside on a bright day, in a garden full of jasmine.

Tuca Tuca is different.  It's definitely floral, however not the traditional kind. Smell it out of the bottle and I feel like I can smell the dirt, it's an odd sort of scent when you smell it like that. I didn't really know what to think of it. It didn't turn me off, it didn't make me swoon either, but it had something that made me keep coming back for more. You definitely have to give it a minute to work with your skin, because thats when the magic begins.  The solid smells distinctly different on everyone.  It's made of Viola Odorata, which is a sweet violet. This perfume does include vanilla, sandalwood, and vetivert, none of which overpower the viola at all. I read reviews where some people think it smells grannyish or powdery or spicy or musky or too sweet. I wouldn't use any of those descriptions, to me it smells like flowers growing near the ocean with a warm breeze and the waves crashing on shore. In other words, Pure Bliss. Definitely try this one out before purchasing, it sadly :( doesn't work with everyone.

Both these perfumes are Vegan. Also they cost less then $10 (CAD), which is not bad at all for a perfume that lasts 4-8 hours.  Vanillary lasts about 4-6 hours, Tuca Tuca hangs around for a lot longer, upto 8 hours.

If you would like to read about LUSH history, you can do so here..
I always like reading about a good business story. Not to mention, an extensive Green Policy!!

LUSH can make you feel like anything you like, from an exotic enchantress to a fairy princess.  It's everything a girl could ever dream of and more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment